Thursday, March 3, 2016

Update and Parkwalk Info 2016



So apparently I get to be famous for one more year!  I don't think I realized just how many people would see my face on this years pamphlet for the ProHealth Care Walk for Cancer. I've had tons of people from church, school, and even in my community say, "Hey were you on a pamphlet for a walk coming up?"  Pretty cool thing.




 I will not be talking in front of everyone, but will be walking among so many amazing people.  If you are interested in joining my team this year we would love to have you come out and support me, and everyone else that has been affected by cancer.  


Team name is Sheila Strong. 
You can sign up at prohealthcare.org/walksforcancer.   

February has been a month of checkups and meeting with all of my Doctors.  Earlier this month I met with my oncologist Dr. Hake.  I had found another lump (3rd one now) that had me a little worried.  After meeting with Dr. Hake, he assured me that he was not concerned but that we would still need to investigate it just to be sure.  Two days later, I was in again having another ultrasound done, but this time on my right side just below my port.  Thank you again to my cousin Rhonda for coming along with me!  It was nice to have someone along for support, just in case.  Results came back right away showing at this time there was NO sign of cancer.  Most likely it is either fluid buildup or fatty necrosis.  However, in 2 months I will have more imaging done on the 3 areas to make sure they are not changing.  

At my appointment with Dr. Hake, we talked about many different things as far as what would be the best for treatment options for me moving forward.  My blood work came back, and my hemoglobin levels are still really low so they have started me on some iron supplements.  I'm still on the Tamoxifen pill, but have also decided to try being on the Lupron shot.  Lupron typically is used to reduce the risk of hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer from coming back in premenopausal women after surgery and other treatments.  It basically will shut down my ovaries, however, with every medication comes the wonderful list of side effects.  The worst ones have been the hot flashes and mood swings.  I told Dr. Weyers when I met with her last week that I feel like I can't control my emotions.  I'm all over the board.  She assured me that they are messing with the chemical balance in my body, and that it's not me.  

I also met with my plastic surgeon this month.  I will be having a "revision" surgery sometime over summer to adjust my right breast.  Radiation tightened the left side, and in my eyes I look uneven.  I figured if it bothered me enough, I should probably go through the surgery.  It sounds like it will be about a week for recovery, and in 3 weeks I should be back to normal activities.  During this surgery they will also remove my port.

Adjusting back to life after cancer has had its many ups and downs.  The thoughts of having a recurrence are in my mind everyday.  I'm always thinking about what I can do to help prevent it from happening.  I try to remind myself that as much as we would like to know what God has in store for us, I have to trust in his plan.  I do appreciate the moments I have with my friends and family, and will always be wishing for more.

Quotes:
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You must do the thing which you think you cannot do" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Deuteronomy 31:6 "…Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”



No comments:

Post a Comment