Monday, September 8, 2014

First Blood Transfusion

Monday 9/8 First Blood Transfusion and Results from Scans

So last week Thursday I went in for blood work, an ultra sound, MRI, and MUGA test.  My Aunt Sue and Grandma Getter came with me for the day (THANK YOU!!!!)  I mixed up where I was supposed to go right away in the beginning of the day (9:30 AM) so they accidentally drew blood, instead of just accessing my port.  After the blood work, I had my ultra sound.  This they needed to get the same screen shots as the first time so they could actually compare them.  During this, the Medical Oncology department tracked me down because I never showed up for the port access.  So after the ultra sound we went straight to that department for them to access my port, then to my MRI.  This went fine, not much to it.  After my MRI, I was tracked down again because they had gotten my blood work results and my hemoglobin level was low.  They were hoping to be able to get me in for a blood transfusion yet that day.  I didn't know much about the blood transfusion, but with all the symptoms I was having after my last treatment and how low the red blood cell count was I agreed that we should get that done too.  So before my MUGA scan we had to go back down to the Med. Oncology department so they could draw more blood and crossmatch for the transfusion.  Now back to the area for the MUGA scan. We felt like we walked all over the hospital.   Again very easy test for me, although I did feel a little more queasy after this test.  Finally, it was about 2:30 and we headed down for the blood transfusion.  They gave me some benadryl which definitely made me sleepy.  I think we finally left the hospital around 5:30.  I was hoping to feel better when I left, but I it was a pretty long day that I was just ready to go to bed.  Friday I felt much better and we had a pretty good weekend up at the Meinecke cabin, minus my bee sting.

Today I met with the doctor to go over the test results.  I was hoping for better news, the doctor used the words "He was satisfied with the results."  Basically, my large tumor has shrunk a little bit, the 2 smaller areas they are watching are the same, and the one lymph node is the same.  My MUGA test came back at 68% which is good.  All of my counts were back up and are ready for treatment tomorrow.  I guess I was hoping to hear that all of the tumors had shrunk, especially after my doctor said that sometimes the smaller ones don't even show up after the 4th treatment of the AC.

Tomorrow I start the 12 weeks of Taxol and Herceptin.  They say I should recover faster than I have been with the AC treatments.  So I'm hoping for a faster recovery, and less side affects!

I received a card the other day and inside my old neighbors had written, "Some days it rains so the sun can shine after."  I think about what this means and the other things I've been reading and that is so true.  God wants me to trust that he has a plan for me.  I guess the saying that he never gives you something you can't handle has to be true.  I just keep hoping, and praying that the sun will shine for me after all of this!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." - Matthew 11:28-29.


No comments:

Post a Comment